Last Updated on
The best thing about Tibet is that, each region is different and unique. Eastern Tibet exhibits some distinct characteristics and this place is entirely different from the other parts of Tibet. The climate is strikingly unique, the geography is interesting and the biodiversity is rich and intriguing. Tibet always oozes a divine vibe and the areas in the eastern part add to the appeal. The green landscape is stunning and every frame needs to be captured. This is a treat for travellers and they will never forget what they see here during their Tibet tour. A pride of Tibet and a remarkable landmark for all of Asia, Eastern Tibet can be rightly called the “Swiss-Alps of Asia”.
The locals show a distinct lifestyle and they dress up very uniquely. They keep their hair long and colourful braids are worn by them. The sheepskin cloak is a very interesting garment and it makes their overall appearance intriguing. Eastern Tibet can be described in many ways and it truly shows the true celebration of life.
Nyingchi – Topography, climate and biodiversity
Tibet’s southeast area has an important landmark and Nyingchi City deserves special mention. Three famous mountain ranges are located here and quite naturally it became Tibet’s Switzerland. The mountains, the chilly climate and the overall vibe of Nyingchi make it stunning. Life has prospered in this fertile land and the sun has been very kind to the people of this area. The water of the lake is crystal clear and the green mountains are perfect to support different forms of life. Himalaya combines with Tangula to form a colossal dragon and the Henduan range joins the two in the eastern part. Nyingchi had a primitive forest and that is preserved well. It is kind of a natural museum, which stores and preserves various life forms. The region has a connection with ancient civilizations and various signs prove that.
Nyingchi is situated in the lower parts of Yarlung Tsangpo River. Nyingchi Prefecture is 3,000m above sea level and the lowest spot has an elevation of just 900m. The landscape is absolutely gorgeous and the wet weather is exclusive to this place. Major townships have come up here, due to the fertile areas and some scenic economic zones have developed. Bayi Town is quite popular and it has come up on Biyang River’s bank. The area developed quite fast and it became the political as well as economic hub. The government officials have taken significant steps to protect the biodiversity of this place and Nyingchi is the place, where live thrives.
Must-visit Places in Nyingchi
- Draksum-tso – Tibet has many amazing spots, but Drakum-tso is the most scenic of them all. A beautiful lake in Gongbogyamda County, which is almost 120km from the famous Bayi Town. In the year of 1997, the lake got international recognition and it became a hotspot for international tourism. This alpine lake falls in the steep mid-upper regions of bar River, which is Niyang River’s largest tributary. Located at a height of 3,538m and covering 25.9 sq km, the deepest region is 60m. The breathtaking scenery calls tourists from all over and many trips are available to Draksum-tso. The ice supply is ample here and glaciers move freely in the background of green forests. Rare wildlife is found here and it includes musk deer, leopard, bharal, etc. This is a sacred lake and many festivals are held near the lake.
- World King Cypress – According to folklore, the oldest religion of the world is Bon and World King Cypress has seen its birth. This cypress occupies a height of 50m and the diameter is around 5.8m. The tree is ages old and the pilgrims consider it holy. The trees in the nearby area are preserved very well and Tibetan people have taken many steps to protect this area. Some other cypress-trees surround the main area and the region’s elevation is 3,040m. A legendary person named Tonpa Shenrab Miwoche is connected with this tree and he founded the ancient Bon religion.
- Nyingchi peach blossom festival – Tibetan people know how to celebrate the arrival of spring and they do that in style. Snow covers most region of Tibet and peach flowers engulf Nyingchi. Nature is truly amazing at this time between February and March. Tibet goes in a celebratory mood and the rich culture heritage prevails here. Nyingchi peach blossom festival is organized by local residents and some enthusiastic tourists also take part in this extravaganza. The rose-colored peach blossoms can be enjoyed and the pastoral scenery is a true delight for the eyes. Visitors can also explore the rural areas and watch exhilarating horsemanship performances.
- YarlungTsangpo Grand Canyon – Tibet has a little bit of everything and nature has gifted this place with open hands. Having a dangerous death of about 5,000 meters, YarlungTsangpo Grand Canyon is longer and higher than Grand Canyon. If you are coming to visit, this attraction can’t be missed. The mountains are snowy and green and the peaks often touch the clouds. The area is marked by unusual biodiversity, amazing mountain belts and some mysterious cultures. This region experiences a variable climate and the rainfall is sufficient enough to support the plant and animals life.
- Mount Namjagbarwa – This is arguably the most gorgeous mountain situated in China. Nyingchi Prefecture boasts of this high peak and the height of 7,782m is awe-inspiring. The Himalayas fall on its eastern side and surrounds the Yarlung Tsangpo River from both sides. The beautiful valley called “Namche barwa” is the deepest one in the world, exhibiting a trench of 5,000m. Mount Namjagbarwa is perfect for photography and accommodation facilities are easily available here.
- Midui Glacier – Mountains to lakes and glaciers, Tibet is indeed an intriguing place. China has several glaciers, but Midui Glacier falls among the top 6. Situated in the bustling Yipu Town, 100km away for, Bome, the ice basin attracts visitors from all parts of the globe. Snow avalanches are common here and it features forests, villages, temples, etc. The highway that connects Tibet and Sichuan is located close by, so transportation facilities are outstanding. The biological diversification of Midui Glacer is one of its key characteristics.
- Niyang River – last but not the least is Niyang River of Lhasa. Beautiful is the perfect word to describe this river, which comes as a tributary of Yarlung Tsangpo Valley. The aquatic power of Niyang is tremendous and the drop height is 2,273 m. It extends to an area of 307.5 km and goes towards the western region of the Mira range. Niyang River features many scenic spots, but Rock Pillar deserves special mention. The local people have great respect for it and it became a tourist spot quite rapidly.
Tibet can give a feeling of heaven on Earth and Easter Tibet is truly magical. Experience life here and visit the major attractions to have an unforgettable vacation for your wonderful Tibet travel.