When you think of New York City, you probably picture the soaring skyscrapers of Manhattan and the bumper-to-bumper traffic in Times Square. But this bustling metropolis is also home to one of the most famous urban parks in the world: Central Park. Spanning an astonishing 843 acres, this beautiful common area has been designated as a National Historic Landmark, and is up for placement on the UNESCO list of World Heritage sites.As such, the park is a must-see destination while you are in the Big Apple. Indeed, 35 million visitors explore its lakes, ponds, cottages, and other attractions every year. Nonetheless, it remains a great place to get away from the crowds.
There are many ways you can discover the delights of Central Park. You can venture out on a Central Park suggested walk, or you can take a Central Park carriage tour. But perhaps the best Central Park tours are the pedicab tours.
Why Consider Central Park Pedicab Tours?
If you have never been in a pedicab, it is like a small hooded vehicle driven by a guide on a bicycle. On a pedicab, you are able to travel more quickly than you could on a Central Park self-guided walking tour, but you can ride along the same routes, touring the major sites and enjoying the fresh air. Your guide will provide you with interesting facts along the way, adding to your knowledge and enriching your experience.
Could you ride a bicycle on your tour of Central Park? Sure, but you would miss out on the chance to chat with a well-informed guide. You also would expend more energy, and there is a lot to see and do in the park. So you will want to conserve your energy for the various sites and activities you will encounter along the way.
- Bethesda Terrace and Fountain: This famous location has been featured in numerous TV shows and movies.
- Tisch Children’s Zoo: At this park, children (and the young at heart) can pet and feed animals such as sheep, goats and pigs.
- Dairy: This beautiful structure in the Gothic revival style was constructed in 1870. Here you can view exhibits on the history and architecture of Central Park.
- Victorian Gardens: This outdoor amusement park is like a year-round carnival. It’s the perfect place to bring small children.
- Belvedere Castle: This legendary folly combines Romanesque and Gothic architecture and looks like a miniature castle. In it you can view exhibits and also climb to an observation deck where you can survey the park.
- Conservatory Garden: This formal garden covers six acres and combines English, French and Italian styles. Those who are looking for a quiet place to relax can enjoy a peaceful stroll among the fragrant blossoms.
You can also stop by the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, and the Museum of Natural History. These are some of the world’s most renowned museums, featuring stunning collections of artwork and scientific specimens.
Perhaps the most remarkable aspect of Central Park however is its simple beauty. No matter where you go on your tour, you will be surrounded in lush greenery and breathtaking tranquillity. With the New York skyline rising over the dense foliage and spacious lawns, you will experience many picture-perfect moments and your pedicab guide will be standing by ready to help you capture them.Central Park pedicab rates are quite reasonable, and it is up to you to decide on the pace of your tour and the length of time you want to spend in the park. You can head out for anywhere from one to four hours either on your own or with one or two other people. Lately, the Gossip Girl Sites Tour in a pedicab has been favored among teens.
While the neon lights of Times Square and the colorful markets of Chinatown have their draw, many visitors to NYC say upon returning home that their time exploring Central Park was the highlight of their trip. Where else can you get away from it all while still being right in the heart of everything? So check into Central Park pedicab tours. There is no better way to see America’s most famous urban park!